Boo! It’s time for some Halloween inspired kindness this month!
While trick-or-treating and decorating are fun, we get most excited about spreading some kindness in our neighborhoods during the month of October! One of the best ways to turn your neighborhood into a community is to connect with your neighbors. This month’s “Boo It Forward” campaign encourages you to create a community in your neighborhood through some Halloween fun!
What is “Boo It Forward”? As a family, you secretly deliver buckets of fun to a couple of neighbors to spread some kindness and share the holiday spirit. You can personalize your buckets of fun for each household you boo making the surprise even more exciting! After they’ve been “boo’ed” they have to do the same to a few different neighbors. The trend continues until, hopefully, everyone in your neighborhood has been “boo’ed”. This is a great way to get the whole neighborhood involved in some holiday kindness! Everyone in the neighborhood will feel more connected to the families they see every day, but may not necessarily know that well.
So let’s get boo’ing!
Items Needed for This Month’s Campaign
- 2-3 Small $1 bin, bucket or decorative bag
- 2-3 print outs of the instructions to leave and encouraging others to spread the fun and kindness in their neighborhood
- A few small toys, candy, or treats to place in your bag (be cognizant of chocolate and things that can melt in the sun unless left in a covered area)
How to Do This Month’s Campaign
- Purchase your 2-3 boo buckets. The Target dollar bin section is a great place to find some!
- Print 2-3 Boo signs and 2-3 ISP Boo Directions – found on resources page under “Boo It Forward” Ghost
- Decide what you want to put in your bucket. We usually do a bit of candy, and if there are kids in the home we had some glow sticks, stickers, note pads, and other non-edible things geared to that home’s age group(s).
- Assemble the kit and place the sign and directions inside the kit
- Take a photo of your kit (with or without your Ambassador)
- Add your kindness act and photo to the map here
- Drop off!
Kim says her family “likes to go out just after dark, drop off at the door and do a little ding-dong ditch (like the old days Moms) and hide along the other side of the house so we hear them as they answer and get excited. The kids love doing it this way.”
As an extra not-so-spooky way to boo your friends, classmates, or club/troop members this month, we encourage you to use our “Boo-grams”. A lot of schools get into the Halloween spirit with boo-grams, but often there are kids who don’t receive any boo-grams which can make them feel left out. Whether your school already does boo-grams or not, we encourage you to secretly “boo” those who need some kindness the most!
- Print 2-3 (or more) “Boo-grams” from the resources page. There are two options to choose from “You are awesome because…” or “You are kind because…”
- Fill out the blank space
- Attach a little treat such as a lollipop, ring pop, or other candy of your choosing
- Put them on lockers, cubbies, or backpacks of the people most deserving of some extra kindness
- The goal is to see how many people in your school can get a boo-gram by the end of the month – hopefully everyone!
- What was your favorite part of participating in “Boo It Forward”?
- How do you think your small act of kindness impacted your neighborhood?
- How do you think your boo-gram made the person receiving it feel?